Wednesday, December 20, 2006

It's Snowing!!!

It's snowing. This I know because I've been out in it. However, even if I hadn't gone outside today, even if I hadn't looked out a window, I would have known it was snowing courtesy of our local news.
While I was in college and studying to work in television, we were told Denver is one of the best television news markets in the U.S. Being a newscaster in Denver is considered one of the best gigs you can get. Look around. Heck, even the local news talent in L.A. is pretty bad and you'd think there'd be no shortage of pretty people who can read in that town. (The 'gotcha' is the reading part of the job description).
All in all the newscasters in Denver are pretty good unless it starts to snow or the Broncos play a game. It suddenly becomes 24 hours of hound journalism with every outlet trying to out-report the others about the snow. 'It's snowing in Denver - it's snowing at the airport - it's snowing at the shopping mall - it's snowing on the bridge - it's snowing on this highway -it's snowing in the mountains - it's snowing in the suburbs - it's snowing on the plains - it's snowing at this gas station - it's snowing at this park'. It's ridiculous is what it is. And oddly enough, I'm compelled to keep watching.
Those bastards! I could just as easily look out a window, but between seeing some poor schlub (a poor schlub outfitted in pretty decent outdoor wear) standing on an overpass and watching all the doppler, double-doppler, triple-doppler, nextrad and future-cast radar, sonar and lord knows what else blip across the screen, well, it's mesmerizing.
Typically the Denver weathercasters are wrong with their predictions, but given the chance they nail the report, they're ready to suck each other off with promotional spots showing their previous reports predicting the impending storm. Their colleagues clean-up the knob polishing by proclaiming 'so and so' a top-notch meteorologist. And then they go in for seconds by recapping their super-powers and how it benefited society more than the friggin' small pox vaccine or something.
Anyway, that's what we're up to and my thoughts on the matter - Oprah's getting ready to end so I have to go watch the evening news to see what's going on in the world. Oh wait... it's snowing!
BTW - spellcheck wanted to change 'weathercasters' to 'weathercock' and 'Oprah' to 'ovary'. I should have accepted both suggestions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home